Eugeny S. Shpinev
(23.01.1982 — 24.02.2018)
Since childhood Eugeny dreamed of traveling and of becoming a paleontologist. He graduated from the Faculty of Biology and Chemistry of the Moscow Pedagogical State University in 2004. In 2005–2009 he was a graduate student in the Laboratory of Arthropods of the Paleontological Institute. He studied the Paleozoic aquatic Chelicerata (eurypterids, horseshoe crabs) and Crustacea of Russia and adjacent countries, published a number of detailed articles, and made many brilliant presentations at conferences. He participated in expeditions to the Near-Polar Urals and the Donbass and himself organized field work near Krasnoyarsk and in Khakassia.
Eugeny worked as a teacher at the Central Station of Young Naturalists and Environmentalists and as a school teacher of biology. In 2011 he became employed by the Timiryazev State Biological Museum, where since 2012 he was a research associate in the collection department. He became the curator of the fossil collection and managed to complete the difficult task of cataloging it. Eugeny took part in preparation of all the fossil exhibitions at the museum in recent years and co-authored the guide to fossils of the Moscow metro stations. He designed and led classes and excursions, which were loved by both adults and children.
Eugeny was interested in broader questions of biology and took close to heart imperfections of human society. He loved hiking, tourist songs, poetry, participated in the Karpoffest festival, and himself wrote verse. Zhenya was a warm person. He left numerous friends – at the institute, the museum, everywhere. Zhenya is alive in our memory, and as long as we are – he is with us...
Publications by E.S. Shpinev
- Shpinev E.S. 2006. A new species of Adelophthalmus (Eurypterida) from the Lower Carboniferous of the Krasnoyarsk Region. Paleontological Journal 40: 431–433.
- Shpinev E.S. 2010. Angustidontidae (Crustacea: Malacostraca) from the Upper Devonian of Ukraine and Belarus. Paleontological Journal 44: 409–417.
- Shpinev E.S. 2012. On some eurypterids (Eurypterida, Chelicerata) from the Devonian of South Siberia. Paleontological Journal 46: 370–377.
- Shpinev E.S. 2012b. New species of the genus Adelophthalmus (Eurypterida, Chelicerata) found in the Middle Devonian of Khakassia. Paleontological Journal 46: 470–475.
- Shpinev E.S. 2014. New data on eurypterids (Eurypterida, Chelicerata) of the Upper Carboniferous of the Donets Basin. Paleontological Journal 48: 287–293.
- Marshall D.J., Lamsdell J.C., Shpinev E., Braddy S.J. 2014. A diverse chasmataspidid (Arthropoda: Chelicerata) fauna from the Early Devonian (Lochkovian) of Siberia. Palaeontology 57: 631–655.
- Shpinev E.S. 2015. State-of-the-art of study of the water chelicerates on the territory of Russia and adjacent countries: history, problems, perspectives. In: Prehistoric. Palaeontological heritage: study and preservation. Moscow, Media-Grand: 41–43. [In Russian]
- Shpinev E.S. 2017. New data on ecology of the Carboniferous limulids of Donets Basin. In: Palaeoecology. Methodological basis, factological potential, application for museum expositions. Moscow, Media-Grand: 30–34. [In Russian]
- Shpinev E.S. 2018. New data on Carboniferous xiphosurans (Xiphosura, Chelicerata) of the Donets Coal Basin. Paleontological Journal 52: 271–283.
- Shpinev E.S., Vasilenko D.V. 2018. First fossil xiphosuran (Chelicerata, Xiphosura) egg clutch from the Carboniferous of Khakassia. Paleontological Journal 52: 400–404.
- Naugolnykh S.V., Shpinev E.S. 2018. Pterygotid eurypterids from the Upper Silurian of Podolia (Ukraine). Paleontological Journal 52: 1545–1552.
- Shpinev E.S., Filimonov A.N. 2018. A new record of Adelophthalmus (Eurypterida, Chelicerata) from the Devonian of the South Minusinsk Depression. Paleontological Journal 52: 1553–1560.